No tabs in post PLEASE!!! (was Re: partial list sort)

Nicola Musatti Nicola.Musatti at ObjectWay.it
Fri Oct 11 10:33:43 EDT 2002

Daniel T. wrote:

> Nicola Musatti <Nicola.Musatti at ObjectWay.it> wrote:
[...]
>>You don't need a "handicapped system" to be hinderd by tabs in email.
>>It's enough to have a reader that prepends '> ' to quoted text.
>
> Maybe you need a reader that handles tabs correctly...

For whose definition of 'correctness'?

>>And *everyone* that posts on Usenet wants maximum coverage.
>
> That is not true. Those who are asking for help or advice may very well
> be wanting maximum coverage. Those who are despensing the advice may not
> really care.

Interestingly enough the request to avoid tabs comes from one of the
greatest "advice dispensers" in this newsgroup...

I consider making a reasonable effort to be readable by *all* the
recipients of one's messages a matter of manners. This includes making
sure that formatting is preserved.

I agree that for those who seek help it's also a matter of common sense.

[...]
> It's not like tabs were some new fangled thing that no one ever heard of
> before. They've been around since the rest of the ASCII character set
> has.

And they've caused no end of trouble ever since.

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti