inheritance problem

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Tue Oct 1 15:49:55 EDT 2002

 > what's the problem with pyopengl? ( i'm working with it right now )

No problem with it, I just figure that it's too early to cut off
versions of PyOpenGL for Python < 2.2 for the minimal benefits the use
of 2.2 features would have (after all, PyOpenGL's just a wrapper around
a lot of functions and a few simple data structures, no real need for
the 2.2 features, which are mostly focussed on object-orientation).  I
do all my coding on all the projects under 2.2, but I only worry about
back-porting those two projects (SimpleParse and PyOpenGL/OpenGLContext)
to work under earlier Pythons .

In other words, PyOpenGL is too "standard" and "functional" to be
forcing people to upgrade to Python 2.2 just to use it when there's no
critical reason to force the upgrade.  So, I annoy myself (and my
co-developers :) ) by demanding that it run on the earlier versions of
Python as well as the later versions.

In contrast, basicproperty, wxoo and wxprop (my other active projects)
all are based, at their most fundamental levels, on object-orientation,
and particularly the new 2.2 descriptor APIs.  Without those APIs,
coding the packages, while possible, would be a royal pain, so I'm
willing to cut out those not able to upgrade to Python 2.2 or above.

Enjoy,
Mike