Python daemon

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Oct 17 22:19:34 EDT 2002

Kalle Svensson wrote:

> [Jason Morgan]
>
>>On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 07:36:11PM -0400, François Pinard wrote:
>>
>>>You meant Daniel Burnstein?  I'd rather not.  You may choose the crowd you
>>>want to be with, and decide to stay away from others.  It's your life! :-)
>>
>>Yes, Daniel Burnstein. Sorry about the typo. I find daemontools useful;
>>however, I'm neither programmer nor sysadmin nor techie - just a hobbyist
>>so I don't carry with me the prejudices some others may.
>

> It's not only a question of prejudice.  For a good discussion of what
> is wrong with Daniel Bernstein's software, take a look at:
>
> http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#djb

While it may not be *only* a question of prejudice, it does seem
to be _largely_ one.

The software is effective, no doubt, and while some people have
serious difficulty with the licensing (or lack thereof), and
other issues, even the FAQ above has this to say about the
software itself: "and his software is beyond doubt of uniformly
high coding quality and careful (if eccentric) design."

I've used qmail, daemontools, and some other items on my own
servers, and have been quite happy with them so far.  The
licensing issue concerns me, but is certainly not by itself
a reason for me (and doubtless some others) to abandon it.

-Peter