Python daemon

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Oct 17 23:29:06 EDT 2002

[Peter Hansen]

> [...] even the FAQ above has this to say about the software itself: "and
> [Daniel Bernstein] software is beyond doubt of uniformly high coding
> quality and careful (if eccentric) design."

I would not question Daniel Bernstein technical merits.  He undoubtedly does
nice things, with high competence.

> The licensing issue concerns me, but is certainly not by itself a reason
> for me (and doubtless some others) to abandon it.

For me, it is not a legalistic matter, but rather a question of acceptable
human attitudes, or lack thereof.  People are not so free and do not much
respect themselves, if they accept being bashed or spit on for a few cubes
of free sugar.  Oh, I never had the slightest problem with that maintainer,
but I will always remember how he acted with others.  There are some people
one just does not want in his home, and one should act accordingly.

Besides, we are not so stuck that we cannot consider alternative avenues.