Lightweight graphics canvas? (lighter than Tkinter, PIL, SDL, et al ;-)

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Mon Oct 21 18:07:45 EDT 2002

I'd just like a window to pop up like Tkinter's, but it would be ok
for it to be limited if it was fast, i.e., fast dots and vectors of
specified colors, just putting the pixels in a device-independent pixel
array format quickly, not creating line objects etc.

This should be possible with a very small DLL in windows. Is there one?
ISTM that a platform independent simple LIGHTWEIGHT graphic canvas module would be
a nice part of the standard python distribution.

A text addon that could prepare nicely anti-aliased bitmap rectangles from fonts
that could be passed as bitmap lists to the canvas for blitting as a way to
support text would be a nice extension, but light-weight primitives first.

I'm sure upteen graphics goodies do these things, but lightweight, fast, and
included with the batteries?

Regards,
Bengt Richter