OT: Mandrake 9.0?

Mats Wichmann mats at laplaza.nospam.org
Mon Oct 7 14:15:54 EDT 2002

On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 18:55:30 -0700, "Uwe C. Schroeder" <uwe at oss4u.com>
wrote:

:Aahz wrote:
:
:> Mandrake just sent me an offer to upgrade to 9.0 (I currently have 8.1)
:> for 15% off if I pre-order.  Anyone have an opinion on whether I should
:> upgrade now or wait for 9.1?  I'm a tiny bit leery because I had some
:> problems installing 8.1 in the first place.
:
:Hmmm - question is: Does your 8.1 do what you want ?
:If so - don't upgrade
:If not - try the new version

I agree in principle.  In practice, the chain of rpm dependencies in
rpm-based distros is such that once you find you need to upgrade
something because something else requires it, you often end up
upgrading dozens of packages, at which point it's often easier to have
the CDs handy to just install a new version. I hope the day will come
when this is not as true as it seems to be today.

I've been running the 9.0 betas and release candidates here for a
while with good results, FWIW. I ran with Mandrake 8.2 for a long
time, 8.1 is getting a little long in the tooth so it may be time...

What sorts of troubles did you have installing 8.1?
Mats Wichmann