Windows NT remote registry import

logistix logistix at zworg.com
Sun Oct 6 23:30:19 EDT 2002

Chris <nospam at nospam.com> wrote in message news:<ms51quc3vul4n5hp9i6cdr7coobk1ar5ht at 4ax.com>...
> That's true.
>
> However, in order to keep the question brief,  I failed to mention
> that I need to do it to 100+ machines.
>
> I'm considering writing a loop and having it perform the entries one
> at a time. However, it will take some time to write it this way, since
> there are a number of subkeys (with subkeys, etc.)

Yeah, believe it or not, there is no "default" way to remotely import
.reg files to remote machines.  As much of a pain as it is you think
there'd be something in the ResKit.  All in all, to get it done NOW
you're better off looking at something like NT logon scripts to push
it out.  (If you're hitting all the machines, you may want to consider
installing something like rcmdsvc.exe from the resource kit while
you're at it to help out down the road)

In python, it's relatively easy to write a program that reads entries
from one registry and stores them in another with some recursive
loops.  Or you can make a list of two-tuples that contain (key, value)
and just climb through that.  You can also look for a 3rd party
utility to remotely push the .reg file.  You can at least use python
(or something) else to programatically create a giant batch file ( or
python's os.popen) so you don't need to waste time typing the same
command 200 times.

I've used all these methods with success (sorry I can't find my
registry climbing code)

As always, if you're going to try some automated registry
modifications, test, test, test, before sending it out to 200
machines.