Reports, PDF, and grid widget for Python?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Mon Oct 21 14:24:06 EDT 2002

In article <3db437fe at monitor.lanset.com>,
Adams-Blake Co. <aremovethiscanton at adamsremovethis-blake.com> wrote:
			.
>to Jython. It seems to me that having the entire Java library (Swing, AWT,
>etc. ) at your disposal would be a distinct advantage.... and (my guess) is
>that installing a JRE is not too difficult for the average user? And if I
>have Java behind me, I can use some of the Java 3rd party libraries that will
>help me do the reports (like Datavision).
>
>Is there a downside to Jython and Java/Swing/AWT (I'm NOT a Java programmer
>but I've read a few books.)
			.
			.
			.
Swing is gross, difficult, and slow.  Oh--also poorly
portable.  Installing the generally-available JREs
probably is too difficult for the average user, although
the Java industry effectively advertises the contrary.

There's enough to like about Swing that I've worked on a
few books about it.

Incidentally, my impression of this project is that
you're trying too hard.  Is the user interface more than
a Web application can handle?
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net