Boa Constructor and CVS question

Conrad Schneiker schneiker at athenalab.com
Sat Oct 5 14:55:27 EDT 2002

"Neil Hodgson" wrote:

> Conrad Schneiker:
>
> > I've done some groups.google searching around and have seen
> recommendations
> > that the CVS version of Boa Constructor be used (since the .zip and
> > win32.exe downloads are way out of date). After some further searching,
> > haven't found any concise documentation about how to go about doing
this,
> > although there is a considerable abundance of marginally related
> information
> > to sift through.
>
>    Is your problem with downloading from CVS or with the code once
> downloaded? CVS is something that you will just have to learn about as it
is
> part of the assumed background knowledge for many open source projects.

Well, IMHO, that seems a bit much for (most other) people who simply want to
fetch a copy of the latest version of something. I'm simply looking to save
myself and others what seems like mostly wasted searching and learning time
for what seems like it ought to be a quick and mindless task for open source
project users (versus developers).

> It
> is not sensible for every project to maintain their own CVS documentation.

Agreed. That's why I was suggesting an entry for the (Python) FAQ. My
apologies if that wasn't clear.

> SourceForge hosts some articles about setting up CVS on various platforms:
> https://sourceforge.net/docman/?group_id=1 - section 6, CVS Instructions.

Thanks for the feedback, here and elsewhere.

However, the above link leads to things such as: "Non-developers should make
use of anonymous pserver-based read-only repository access, which is not
directly covered in the instructions provided here."

You can  argue (correctly) that in my case I shouldn't be so lazy, but my
ultimate aim is to lower the access barriers (as it were) to good Python
stuff, as much as possible, for everyone.

I was looking for something more like the following (mindless cookbook)
notes that I ended up making for myself in case I (or others reading this)
ever need to do this a few months or a year later, by which time I would
otherwise have to look up most of this stuff again (although knowing where
to look now, I would be able to find the key parts very much faster).

Hopefully someone else will augment what follows with similar instructions
for wincvs, which would probably be considerably more convenient for most
Win32 users. (I've not figured out yet, since I had cygwin to fall back on
after getting unhelpful error messages from wincvs.)

# These instructions are for Win32 users that have installed cygwin and
cygwin's version of CVS from "http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/".
# Go to the SourceForge homepage for this project, which in this example is
"http://sourceforge.net/projects/boa-constructor/".
# Click on "CVS" link.
# Click on "Browse CVS Repository" link.
# There are two "Files" listed, "CVSROOT" and "boa"; "boa" is the directory
name we wanted to know for the next step.
# Start a cygwin bash shell.
# Create and cd to a temporary directory for receiving a copy of the "boa"
directory and its contents.
# Run
"cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.Boa-Constructor.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/boa-c
onstructor login".
# Press return at password prompt.
# The last parameter of the next command is the directory we want (i.e.
"boa").
# Run
"cvs -r -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.Boa-Constructor.sourceforge.net:/cvsroo
t/boa-constructor checkout boa".
# Copy or move the "boa" directory to "C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages". (Make
suitable path adjustments for your OS, Python version, and location.)

Conrad