library defined exceptions

TuxTrax TuxTrax at fortress.tuxnet.net
Thu Oct 31 05:02:47 EST 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:18:18 GMT, Robin Munn Wrote in
Steve Ballmers hair grease:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 at 21:10 GMT, TuxTrax <TuxTrax at fortress.tuxnet.net> wrote:
>> On 30 Oct 2002 12:52:18 GMT, Gerhard Häring Wrote in
>> Steve Ballmers hair grease:
>>>
>>> You need to qualify the exception classes as well, if you use the "import
>>> module" form. I. e. use "nntplib.NNTPTemporaryError".
>>>
>>> -- Gerhard
>>
>> it needs to read:
>>
>> try:
>>     <code block>
>> except nntplib.NNTPTemporaryError, errorarg:
>>     <code block>
>>
>> and python will recognize the nntplib defined exceptions, in this case
>> NNTPTemporaryError?
>
> That's correct. Exception names are just like any other names; they
> reside in a namespace. When you import a module, only that module's name
> gets added to your namespace; every name defined by the module,
> including exceptions, go in that module's namespace and are referenced
> as attributes of the module.

Thanks Robin. That makes perfect sense. I almost did it right; I used
the nntp object created by the library rather than the library name as a
qualifier. Understanding why you do something makes the difference!

Cheers,

Mathew

--
My Family is Microsoft Free. Running Mandrake Linux 8.0 kernel 2.4.3-20
I use quality open source software alternatives on my PC.

Yes, I am a Penguin cult high priest. Flipper readings upon request.

ROT13 this email address to mail me:
bar jbeq abg guerr - uvtu qrfreg zna, ng lnubb qbg pbz