how to suppress carriage return/line feed?

TuxTrax TuxTrax at fortress.tuxnet.net
Wed Oct 30 16:19:06 EST 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:58:21 -0800, Erik Max Francis Wrote in
Steve Ballmers hair grease:

> Ned Batchelder wrote:
>
>> A trailing comma on the print statement will suppress the newline.
>> This works for me on Windows:
>>
>>   import time
>>
>>   for i in range(10):
>>       print "Counting %s\r" % i,
>>       time.sleep(1)
>
> You're going to want to put a sys.stdout.flush() after printing anyway,
> since in general you have no way of knowing whether stdout is
> line-buffered (and it can very).  Since you have to interact with
> sys.stdout directly, you might as well just go ahead and use
> sys.stdout.write directly as well.

Erik, if you would, I would like to see an example of sys.stdout.write()
and flush() in action, with a sample codelet. Thanks,

Cheers,

Mathew

--
TuxTrax   (n.) An invincible, all terrain, Linux driven armored assault
vehicle that can take as much fire as it gives ;-)

Yes, I am a Penguin cult high priest. Flipper readings upon request.

ROT13 this email address to mail me:
bar jbeq abg guerr - uvtu qrfreg zna, ng lnubb qbg pbz