SOAP frustrations

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Fri Oct 18 06:17:08 EDT 2002

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne at acm.org> wrote in message news:<aomqcm$o4u41$3 at ID-125932.news.dfncis.de>...

> I'm not sure if "SOM" is interoperable with anything at all, and I
> frankly don't care.  It's easy enough to work with, if we consider the
> evils of doing recursive tree walks in Perl to be a "stipulated
> given."

Well, in Java, as opposed to Python (and Perl, if the object
orientation is anywhere near Python's), the interoperability part is
pretty important. Somehow, JAXM exposes its not-exactly-standard Dom4j
roots, and justice is eventually served through other packages such as
Jaxen. I'd hate to not be able to use XPath on anything DOM-like
straight out of the box, especially if the reason for such
technological obstruction were because the representation concerned
wasn't "DOM enough".

> The point is that it involves keeping the XML parse tree, which is the
> Right Thing, as opposed to parsing it and throwing the XML data away,
> which is the Wrong Thing that naive SOAP implementations do.

Agreed.

Paul