SOAP frustrations

Derek Thomson derek at wedgetail.com
Fri Oct 18 10:36:09 EDT 2002

Christopher Browne wrote:

>>>The problem with many of the SOAP implementations (including those for
>>>Python) is that the call to the result() method is implicit, and you
>>>/never/ get a chance to intercept the XML so as to be able to do more
>>>sophisticated things with it, such as looking for encrypted portions
>>>and decrypting them...
>>

>>My unfashionable opinion is that if you want to do RPC, especially if
>>other languages are involved, then CORBA is a mature enough technology
>>that probably won't be as frustrating as SOAP to use or to deploy.
>

> There's one problem with CORBA: It's nastier to get it through
> firewalls, because there are lots of reasonably interoperable HTTP
> proxies, but IIOP proxies are much rarer.

I predict it won't be easier to run SOAP through firewalls for long.
Wait until sysadmins realize you are running RPC calls ever port 80, and
filter incoming SOAP requests out.

I know forwarding thinking sysadmins already starting to do this, as
port 80 was *not* opened for RPC, and any attempt to use it as such
would violate their organization's security policies, and requires
explicit permission.

See my previous post here on why this problem cannot be solved technically.

--
D.