Which Linux distribution

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Oct 5 18:33:37 EDT 2002

Mark McEahern wrote:

> > I don't understand what your problem is since you
> > can install different versions of Python into distinct
> > locations. I run at least four or five different Python
> > versions under RH 7.3 without any problems. The key
> > to your success is to compile Python on your own and
> > use the configure --prefix=....
>
> Doesn't `make altinstall` do the trick?

make altinstall doesn't overwrite the main `python' binary.  The
--prefix configure option puts the installation under an entirely
different hierarchy.

/  \ There's a reason why we / Keep chasing morning
\__/ Sandra St. Victor
    Physics reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/physics/
 A physics reference.