[OT} How to un-GPL parts of a GPL'd module.

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at furu.idi.ntnu.no
Mon Oct 14 18:49:43 EDT 2002

In article <wOAo9.24268$cG.23730 at fe04>, Steve Holden wrote:
>"Anton Vredegoor" <anton at vredegoor.doge.nl> wrote in message
>news:anujeq$qdk$1 at news.hccnet.nl...
>> Hello All,
>>
>> how can I use a class or a function from a GLP'd module (cut-and-paste
>> style) in a module with BSD or public domain style release?
>>
>You can't, without explicit permission from the copyleft holder. that's the
>whole point of copyleft.

But, clearly, this is a matter of how much code is copied, no? I mean,
it's easy to make the case for minimal amounts (such as a single
character, a language keyword, etc.) Where is the line drawn? I guess
a "substantial amount" would have to be copied for it to be covered by
the license, but since IANAL, I don't know how much that is. Depends
on the functionality, I'd assume.

--
Magnus Lie Hetland        Practical Python          The Anygui Project
http://hetland.org        http://ppython.com        http://anygui.org