Build trouble: Python 2.1.3 on VMS 7.2

Alder PGDEHMKOKIMD at spammotel.com
Sun Oct 20 23:10:05 EDT 2002

OpenVMS Alpha 7.2
WASD 8.0 (with OPENSSL 0.9.6E)
DECC 6.5

Thanks to the kind assistance of others in c.o.v I've managed to get
past the compiler issue and attempt a fresh build of Python 2.1.3.  It's
not the smoothest build, that's for sure.  Anyone else out there manage
to build and install this latest release of Python for VMS yet?  I think
I'm getting close to something usable, but have stalled at the point
shown below.

If anyone can tell why these messages are generated, please let us know!
   The directory that is reported 'missing' by the build process is very
much where it should be.

Thanks,
Alder

$ @PYTHON_INSTALL DISK$NET:[PYLIB] DISK$NET:[PYTHON] 7.0
.
.
.
Building WASD module (YES/NO) [Y]?
register _wasd

Building Python Library Imaging Library module (YES/NO) [Y]?
register _imaging

Building gdchart module (YES/NO) [Y]?
register gdchart

%COPY-W-INCOMPAT, PYTHON_ROOT:[VMS]CONFIG_OPTIONAL_MODULES.TXT;7 (input)
and PYT
HON_ROOT:[VMS]CONFIG.DAT;1 (output) have incompatible attributes
%AMAC-F-OPENOUT, error opening PYTHON_ROOT:[VMS.O_ALPHA.VMS] as output
-RMS-E-DNF, directory not found
-SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHFILE, no such file
$