Using Python for blogging

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sat Oct 19 19:33:50 EDT 2002

On 19 Oct 2002 03:06:39 -0700, hwlgw at hotmail.com (Will Stuyvesant) wrote:

>Hello all !
>
>reStructuredText (reST) looks cool!  So I was thinking about doing
>blogging (web logging, sort of keeping a diary at your ISP) with
>Python.  The existing blogging software I know of positively stinks
>IMHO.
>
>My ideal thing would be to be able to edit a file at home using reST.
>Then I need some scripts to transform that into html and send it to my
>ISP.  For turning reST into html there are example scripts in the reST
>Tools directory.
>
>I now have some scripts that work.  For every day there is a reST file
>with name e.g. 291002.txt for date 19 october 2002.  And it is in a
>directory with name 1002 (guess what:).  So you just edit the files
>using reST and you write scripts to turn that into html (could just
>use html.py in the reST Tools directory).

I have just this to add to Gerhard's useful post:

Before you accumulate a lot of files and directories, I would recommend
you change your date representation to yymmdd or yy-mm-dd to get sensible
sorting of file listings outside the directory listing utility (e.g. if
you pipe the output of a whole dir tree through a filter and want it sorted).

E.g., you can tell windows to use alternate date representation, and it will
show up that way most everywhere you see a date in a windows app.

>But!  The resulting html does not really look like I want, I mean I do
>not like the fonts and the sizes etc.  Unfortunately I do not know
>much about HTML so I have a question:  How to improve this?
>Recommandations?  Use CSS?  Any pointers on that?

Regards,
Bengt Richter