Quick question on mysql-python

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Sat Oct 5 20:31:30 EDT 2002

mongo57a at comcast.net wrote in comp.lang.python:
> Just finished downloading Python 2.2.1. Appears to be working fine. To
> complete the installation, I downloaded and executed
> MySQL-python-0.9.2-1.i386.rpm. MySQLdb shows up in
> /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages (as it should). When I attempt to import
> MySQLdb I get the following error:
>
> libmysqlclient.so.9: cannot open shared object file: no such file or

You didn't install the MySQL client libraries or got a version with a
different library number installed.

Check if you have any libmysqlclient*:

    $ ls /usr/lib/libmysqlclient*

If there is none, install the relevant RPM from your distribution or
from mysql.com.

If there is such a library, but with a different library number, such
as 8, you can try to to symlink to it, so that you have a

libmysqlclient.so.9 that points to libmysqlclient.so.{whatever}

HTH,

-- Gerhard