Newbie : desperately need help on "import MySQLdb"

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Sat Nov 23 11:22:36 EST 2002

    Michel> I'm trying to use MySQLdb in a python program.  System is
    Michel> Linux Mandrake 8.2, Python is installed from rpm in
    Michel> /usr/bin MySQLdb is installed from rpm in
    Michel> /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages MySQL version 2.23.53a is
    Michel> installed in /var/lib

    Michel> If I type import "MySQLdb", I receive the message File
    Michel> "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py"
    Michel> line 27 ImportError: No module named _mysql

There should be a file named

/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_mysql.so

If not, there is something funny about your rpm install.  If you have
run 'updatedb' recently do 'locate _mysql.so' and see where if you
have it.  If you do not have 'locate' working, try

fine /usr -name "_mysql.so"

If this file turns up, you need to add it's location to your
PYTHONPATH.  Suppose you find it in /usr/lib/someplace.  You could do

export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/someplace   # bash and friends
setenv PYTHONPATH /usr/lib/someplace   # csh and friends

If you do not have it, you need to try installing MySQLdb from the
source package.  Grab the *.tar.gz src, untar it with, read the README
and then

  /usr/bin/python2.2 setup.py install

Cross your fingers and hope the build goes well.  If not, reread the
README to see if you can figure out what went wrong, then post back
with the error message and get some more help.  No need to waste 2
more days.

John Hunter