Zope on MacOs X trobleshooting

Dan Wolfe dkwolfe at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 23 22:56:45 EST 2002

catonano at inwind.it wrote in message news:<e1119919.0211231039.334db022 at posting.google.com>...
> > More likely that not, Zope doesn't understand that the hostname may
> > change between launches where in one instance you were connected to
> > the net and the next you are not.
>
> Since the hostname output is the same, how can Zope detect what the
> network situation is?

Well, first of all, Zope is a server - and therefore doesn't expect
the network to change under it while running. IMO, it should, however,
check for a new hostname when its first launched. The hostname may
however be part of the configuration file setting so check to see if
there's a note in there as I'm not familiar with Zope.

Secondly, I'm not sure if Zope can cope with Rendezvous addresses
format yet.  There's one app that I know breaks as a result of this
new format.

> More clearly: how can I install Zope in a way it doesn't depend on the
> network I was on when I installed?

If your going between a network and a non network location, and want
to use Zope in both, you might try changing the hostname=-AUTOMATIC-
in /etc/hostconfig to hostname =-<yourhostname>-. I believe this work
but you'll need to try it and see. It will probably prevent you from
using the network unless you manually switch hostnames.... .

To answer your other question, -AUTOMATIC- setting automatically
switches the hostname when the connection goes down... but it takes a
couple of seconds to recognize that the net has gone down before
switching. Thus, you probably where able to launch Zope with it still
pointing to the old hostname and was therefore sucessful.

- Dan