Zope on MacOs X trobleshooting

catonano at inwind.it catonano at inwind.it
Sat Nov 23 13:39:21 EST 2002

Dan,

thanks. Really. It seams you're right.

I came into the Office where I touched Zope for the first time and got
connected to their LAN. Zope works.

When I was home, it didn't.

So I have to thank you since now I can at least work with Zope.

Still there are some things I don't understand. You wrote:

> 'Catonano.local.' is a Rendezvous address.  It appears that you were
> NOT connected to a network when you tried to install and therefore
> your Macintosh is using the default Rendezvous address.

In fact I was NOT connected to a net when I got that output from
hostname but now I am and I still get the same output. The only
difference is that Zope now is working.

I opened the System Preferences app and switched the network
preferences as I was home again, with no ethernet and a modem instead.
So I was offline.

hostname still gave me the same output but Zope kept working. I
unplugged the ethernet cable and relaunched Zope. It worked.

So, obviously there's some big thing I'm missing about the network
layer working in MacOs X.

> More likely that not, Zope doesn't understand that the hostname may
> change between launches where in one instance you were connected to
> the net and the next you are not.

Since the hostname output is the same, how can Zope detect what the
network situation is?

More clearly: how can I install Zope in a way it doesn't depend on the
network I was on when I installed?

Thanks, anyhow, for what you already wrote so far.
But please, please, please, would you tell me the bit more I need to
work comfortly? Thanks!
Bye
Catonano