SMTP Relaying

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 22 21:11:58 EST 2002

greenbeard fed this fish to the penguins on Thursday 21 November 2002
08:37 pm:

> No spamming here!   I have a program sends me files on a timer from my
> remote machine at home to where I work.    (Good for surfing at work -
> although no images) Now the place I am at during the day uses the
> Message Labs Virus Scanning Service so the email is definately being
> forwarded.  Anyway.  I have no problem sending to other servers it is
> only the @work one.   My guess is that it checks the headers and sees
> that it originated from my local machine, routed through my webserver
> , and assumes that it is spam and therefore blocks it.
>
> Guess I will have to keep smackin' the code.

        Are you sure you are specifying the correct SMTP destination host.
Could your company have a machine explicitly for inbound email, and
then /that/ machine delivers to the inside work machines.

        You've been hiding the actual destination address so none of us is
able to examine the situation. What happens if you use your destination
address as part of a DNS MX record look-up? You may need to send to one
of the MX hosts.