Is it possible to write web-based GUI using Python?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Nov 27 04:10:22 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 22:05, Pierre Rouleau wrote:
> What I'd like to be able to do is implement a complete GUI-based control
> application (with buttons, slider, whatever widgets the app needs)
> accessible over the web.

If you confine yourself to HTML widgets (which does not includes
sliders, for instance), this is obviously possible -- that's what forms
are, after all.  If you want widgets beyond what's available in HTML
(either more responsive/interactive, or simply widgets HTML doesn't
have, like decent file selection), then you will have to either code up
a Java applet (potentially in Jython), or write a client application.

If you write a client application, you can use whatever Python GUI you
want (Tkinter, wxWindows, etc).  You may wish to communicate to the
server using XMLRPC.  For something more advanced you could use Pyro
(pyro.sf.net) or another distributed object system (of which there are
several).

There's many examples of XMLRPC servers for Python, and many of the
Python web frameworks contain XMLRPC support.  You should be able to
integrate XMLRPC into your web server system, though I'd encourage you
to consider using a framework.  To choose a framework, see:
  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/WebProgramming

--
Ian Bicking           Colorstudy Web Development
ianb at colorstudy.com   http://www.colorstudy.com