Pydoc seem to ignore my comment

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Thu Nov 7 00:45:25 EST 2002

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 22:31:31 GMT, "Thomas Weholt" <2002 at weholt.org> wrote:

>If I do something like :
>
>class Test:
>    """
>    Lots of docs.
>    """
>    def __init__(self):
>        """
>        Docs here too
>        """
>
>    def go(self):
>        """
>        More docs.
>        """
>
>The doc-string just below the class-definition is included, all other
>doc-strings are ignored in the generated documentation. Why ????
>
>How must a declare my doc-string for them to be included??

I think pydoc is evolving. Do you have python 2.2.2? It produces:

[21:36] C:\pywk\junk>cat Test.py
class Test:
    """
    Lots of docs.
    """
    def __init__(self):
        """
        Docs here too
        """

    def go(self):
        """
        More docs.
        """

[21:37] C:\pywk\junk>python D:\Python22\Lib\pydoc.py .\Test.py
Python Library Documentation: module Test

NAME
    Test

FILE
    c:\pywk\junk\test.py

CLASSES
    Test

    class Test
     |  Lots of docs.
     |
     |  Methods defined here:
     |
     |  __init__(self)
     |      Docs here too
     |
     |  go(self)
     |      More docs.
     |
     |  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
     |  Data and non-method functions defined here:
     |
     |  __doc__ = '\n    Lots of docs.\n    '
     |
     |  __module__ = 'Test'

DATA
    __file__ = r'.\Test.py'
    __name__ = 'Test'

Note the '.\' in the path spec. Apparently pydoc needs an explicit path to direct it
to a file in the current working directory.

BTW, you may be interested in additional formatting goodies described at
   http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/rst/quickref.html
as well.

HTH.

Regards,