some sort of threadsafe locale support

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Nov 15 08:20:41 EST 2002

"François Lepoutrre" <francois.lepoutre at seriatim.com> writes:

> Any threadsafe alternative to format numeric output
> is welcome :) Of course we could do it the
> dummy way writing our own formatting stuff.
>
> Any clever alternative to "wheel-reinventing"
> for this simple but irritating issue?

If you are willing to contribute, I recommend that you look at the IBM
ICU library (international components for Unicode), and its Python
wrapper PICU, at

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python-codecs/picu/

For the specific services you need, you will have to write the
wrappers yourself (since the existing wrappers wrap other parts of the
library). In return, you get a fully thread-safe,
multi-locales-at-time library. Don't forget to contribute your code
when done.

HTH,
Martin