python and xchat

Adam Langley usenet at imperialviolet.org
Mon Nov 25 05:32:51 EST 2002

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 20:58:28 +0000, **IQ** wrote:

> Hello
>  With my xchat coming as standard with my suse install and me being new to
> python and linux, I have no way of knowing if xchat comes configured as
> standard to run python scripts.

Look under the "Scripts and Plugin's" menu for "Load Python Script". If
it's there then X-Chat has Python configured.

> If it does and all's  I nead is a xchat module so I can do an, import xchat,
> within my scripts, were would I get the xchat module, so I could install it
> into python.

There isn't an "xchat" module as such, but X-Chat creates a pseudo module
that only exists for scripts running in xchat. The documentation in
scripts-python/NOTES should tell you everything you need to know. It's a
little old, but I don't think anyone has touched my code so it's still
up-to-date (even if it has my email address wrong).

>  Could somebody please advise me, I tried a basic /sysinfo script made out
> of python source, which I placed in my ./xchat dir, and it didnt work.
> Also upon my xhat tool bar, were it says scripts and plugins, the perl
> option, ie, load perl script, is clickable, but the python option is not,
> and is shaded out? why is this?

If it's shaded out then I suspect that SuSE's X-Chat build doesn't have
python support included. Grab the sources from http://xchat.org and build
yourself, passing the correct options to ./configure ("--with-python" if
memory serves).