PEP #99484663

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Nov 11 09:40:37 EST 2002

Dave Brueck <dave at pythonapocrypha.com> writes:

> You don't hear of long-time Python users complaining about the indentation
> thing; it's a newbie/first impression issue. Not only do I like it as a
> feature, I see it as an open-mindedness filter: people who are willing to
> consider that something a little different than "normal" might be good
> stick around to give Python a try, others quickly move on to something
> more palatable without wasting too much of their own time (they would have
> probably been unhappy with Python anyway).

Could be.  Depends on whether you think people reject Python because
it has many unusual features, or because they reject significant
indentation.  This feature eliminates "significant indentation" as a
reason to reject Python.  "Oh, you don't like significant indentation?
Use braces, then.  You still have to indent, but you were going to
indent anyway, right?"

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com |
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | it's better to be free