PEP #99484663

Dave Brueck dave at pythonapocrypha.com
Mon Nov 11 12:11:12 EST 2002

On 11 Nov 2002, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Dave Brueck <dave at pythonapocrypha.com> writes:
>
> > You don't hear of long-time Python users complaining about the indentation
> > thing; it's a newbie/first impression issue. Not only do I like it as a
> > feature, I see it as an open-mindedness filter: people who are willing to
> > consider that something a little different than "normal" might be good
> > stick around to give Python a try, others quickly move on to something
> > more palatable without wasting too much of their own time (they would have
> > probably been unhappy with Python anyway).
>
> Could be.  Depends on whether you think people reject Python because
> it has many unusual features, or because they reject significant
> indentation.

>From what I've seen, it's neither - instead it's an irrational, knee-jerk
reaction to something different. If they stick around long enough to try
it out, they generally discover that their fears were unfounded and/or
exaggerated.

Some people choose not to use Python for good reasons - it's not the best
tool for every job - but indentation isn't one of those good reasons.

> This feature eliminates "significant indentation" as a
> reason to reject Python.

Perhaps, but I still assert it's a poor reason anyway, so why respond to
it by changing the language? Why put lots of effort into soothing
irrational gripes? A better use of effort is in education or something
else that helps them "see the light".

Plus, my original response was that it doesn't make sense to change the
language to suit people who don't even like the language, especially when
it risks alienating those who like, use, and support the language. For
example, suppose you wrote your code using this "optional" block delimiter
and then we fired you <wink> and so now I take ownership of all your code.
Doh! I find it extremely annoying to have to read and maintain that code!

-Dave