A vision for Parrot

Walter Roberson roberson at ibd.nrc.ca
Wed Nov 6 10:59:28 EST 2002

In article <aqa2oa$8o1$1 at news.ox.ac.uk>, Frodo Morris  <""> wrote:
:Imagine if parrot could understand all interpreted code.

I would have to think for a bit to come up with a proof, but
it seems fairly likely to me that that would be impossible.

At the very least, for it to be possible, you would have to
program indefinite-length pointers and allow all available disk
space to be used as extended memory.

The problem that people keep forgetting is that Turing Equivilence
requires indefinite memory. Turing Machines are defined as having
infinite "tapes". Given any finite memory size, I can come up with
an interpreter the emulation of which would not fit in that finite
memory size.
--
Would you buy a used bit from this man??