PyOpenGL install issues....

Bryan Coon bcoon at sequenom.com
Wed Nov 20 20:14:24 EST 2002

Simon Wittber (Maptek) wrote:
> Hi Bryan,
>
> I too had lots of difficulty installing PyOpenGL on RH8.
>
> I can't tell exactly what your problem is, however it does look similar
> to the error messages I was getting.
>
> I solved the problem by installing Numeric, OpenGL, GLUT, then PyOpenGL.
> I have an nvidia card, which came with its own set of OpenGL drivers,
> but did not come with GLUT.
>
> I then had to change the PyOpenGL configuration file to use -lGL -lGLU
> -lGlut instead of the mesa libs. I suggest you make sure you have all
> the required libs, then try and build PyOpenGL again.
>
> Its worth the trouble, PyOpenGL is great!; Esp. when used with pygame
> (SDL).

Thanks for the info Simon!  I too have an nvidia card, so our setups
should be similar.

But being a complete python newbie, can you tell me more specifically
what config file to change and how?  I saw in the config dir the
linux.cfg file, but I am not sure how to change

[GL]
libs=GL:X11:Xext

so that it looks for the non-mesa libs (if that is even the right place
to change them!).  Just hacking a bit I changed the line to
'libs=-lGL:X11:Xext' but that didn't change anything... compiling still
bombed.  At any rate, I think I should have all the required libs now.
I installed GLUT, and since I have the nvidia card drivers installed, as
you say I should have the opengl libs installed as well.  I also
installed Numeric...

Any additional info you can pass on would be great...

Thanks!
Bryan