DNS server in python

Gerhard Haering gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Wed Nov 20 20:07:55 EST 2002

* Brad Hards <bhards at bigpond.net.au> [2002-11-21 11:06 +1100]:
> So I'm looking for a DNS server in python, if it is already written.
> [...]

Twisted (http://www.twistedmatrix.com/) claims to support both DNS clients
and servers.

Twisted is an asynchronous framework for writing network clients and
servers. This means you have to build your app around the concept of event
handlers. Judging from the sample code (I've not yet used it in real life),
this isn't more difficult than the simple-minded
create-a-new-thread-for-every-new-connection approach I did for my servers.
But it's quite a different way of writing networked apps that requires
getting used to.

-- Gerhard

PS: I've recently read a related interesting article by one of the folks
behind Twisted - "Threads considered harmful":
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/11/18/22112/860