Running PyQt on Win32

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 5 16:33:01 EST 2002

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 9:02 pm, Joost van Rooij wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to develop gui apps for both win32 als linux. I tried using
> the wxpython framework but I found it rather slow with Python. Therefore I
> looked further and stumbled on PyQt. I would like to develop my apps under
> linux but I would like them to run on Win32 as well.
>
> Now my question is what software do I need on a win32 workstation to run
> this software (besides Python :)  I don't want to install the qt library on
> my a Windows system just for running my Python apps.

You have 4 choices - all of which involve installing Qt in one form or another
(I'm not sure how you think you can avoid that).

1. Use the non-commercial versions of Qt and PyQt. Pro: cheap. Con: Only for
non-commercial use, based on an older version of Qt.

2. Buy the commercial versions of Qt and PyQt. Pro: use for any purpose,
royalty free distribution of your application, latest version of Qt. Con:
most expensive option.

3. Buy the personal edition of BlackAdder. Pro: latest version of Qt (or will
be soon), relatively cheap. Con: only for personal use.

4. Buy the business edition of BlackAdder. Pro: use for any purpose, latest
version of Qt (or will be soon), royalty free distribution of your
application. Con: cost (but less than option 2).

Phil