Python Browser Applets

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 7 04:10:07 EST 2002

Terry Hancock:

> It seems like this would have to mean that the
> "Netscape Methods" would include drawing primitives
> or a canvas object that can be drawn to,

   That would be a good way for it to work! But it doesn't :-(

> but I haven't found it yet (Or maybe I'm misunderstanding
> how it works, and the plugin has to talk to the underlying window
> library -- but that seems bizarre and awkward).

   The plugin creates a native window and uses platform specific drawing
functions.

> In any case, I figure it means writing a "Netscape Plugin Renderer"
> for PyUI.  This  would give me option
>
>     3) Run Applet on Python Plugin (Requires embedded python
>     plugin -- big project?, Netscape Plugin Renderer for PyUI -- small,
>     contribs to AnyGUI and PyUI if needed).
>
> The plugin route is kind of the "high road" though -- very nice result,
> but it clearly requires the most work.

   Yes, writing a cross platform plugin is lots of work, especially if you
want it to integrate well into the browser, such as cooperating in sizing
and in event routing including command keys. It is simpler if your plugin
area is a fixed size area that is isolated from the browser.

   Neil