Robin Munn rmunn at pobox.com
Sat Nov 30 13:34:10 EST 2002

Max Ischenko <max at malva.com.uaREMOVE.IT> wrote:

>  Robin Munn wrote:
>

> [...]
>

>> where each indentation level would be a different color (foreground?
>> background?). I wonder how hard it would be to modify lisp.vim to allow
>> this? Well, that's not a project I really have time for at the moment;
>> maybe later on.
>
> This's been done already:
>
>=== from  Vim/after/syntax/lisp.vim
[snip the code that's exactly what I was looking for]

Fantastic! I looked in the Vim syntax files but didn't think about the
after directory. Time to take another look at Lisp, methinks...

By the way, for the several people up-thread who mentioned
paren-highlighting after typing: you're right, that would make for a
good solution to figuring out how many right-parens to type in any given
situation. I still think that color-highlighting of parens will be
useful as well, though, in one specific case: scanning the code you've
just typed (without moving the cursor) to see the structure. If you're a
veteran Lisper, you'll have used proper indentation, of course; but if
you're a newbie, or if you're reading code written by a newbie, you
can't necessarily trust that indentation matches actual code structure.
In that case, color-highlighting could be *very* useful for speeding up
the time it takes to verify the code.

--
Robin Munn <rmunn at pobox.com>
http://www.rmunn.com/