Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sat Nov 30 19:29:09 EST 2002

Robin Munn wrote:
> Max Ischenko <max at malva.com.uaREMOVE.IT> wrote:
>
>   If you're a
> veteran Lisper, you'll have used proper indentation, of course; but if
> you're a newbie, or if you're reading code written by a newbie, you
> can't necessarily trust that indentation matches actual code structure.

The two IDEs I've used (MCL and ACL) had editors which indented
"properly" automatically when you hit the tab character (it is
effectively a "auto-indent" command, /not/ a character insertion.

If I suspect someone has been editing without reindenting, I select as
much code as I like and (under ACL) hit ctrl-shift-p, which reindents.

Me, after a lot of editing on a function, i like to start at the top and
tab-downarrow-tab-downarrow zipping down the function watching each line
reindent so anything out of the way jumps out at me.

But it raely does. Those parens demarcate logical chunks of code, so i
can edit the way I refactor, shuffling interesting semantic chunks
effortlessly. This is not possible without parentheses.

Folks afraid of Lisp's parens need to realize /no/ Lisper even thinks
about them after a few weeks of coding, until the day we have to edit
other languages, at which point we miss them badly.

When i coded other languages I was pretty fussy about layout and had
pretty firm indentation policies. The code looked fine, but I did wonder
how much time I was spending on reformatting after refactoring. In Lisp
its one key-chord.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc