A really bad idea.

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Nov 15 09:00:51 EST 2002

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> writes:

> Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> writes:
>
> > Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> writes:
> >
> > > C without it's library would get a rating of "useless"... guess this
> > > is true for most languages, but C more than most.
> > >
> > Not at all, imo. You just have to write the library yourself,
> > and you *can* do it in C.
>
> I guess... but not portably, surely?

Ok, you need a core library of system calls, but then you go.  As
opposed to Pascal, for example, which I was using when I discovered
C. Mainly, because 'write' is a statement (or special syntax), and cannot
be written in Pascal itself.

> Anyway, it meant to be a serious comment,

I didn't doubt that

> just the observation that C
> puts very little into the language and (relatively speaking) more in
> the stdlib.

And this is IMO what they did right.

Thomas