urllib slow on FreeBSD 4.7? sockets too

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Nov 22 17:18:30 EST 2002

    >> What happens if you reach into the file wrapper and grab the raw socket?

    Mike> How do I do that? u.fp is as close as I seem to be able to get.

Oops, I guess makefile() doesn't give you an easy way to get back to its
host socket.

    >> Did you build Python with or without pymalloc?

    Mike> I installed it from the FreeBSD packages collection. If pymalloc
    Mike> is not normally built-in, then it's probably not in the package.

    >> Can you try the opposite?

    Mike> I'd rather not obliterate my current installation, no.

You should be able to build from source and run against the not-installed
interpreter.  The default (unless the FreeBSD folks muck with the configure
settings) should be to build --with-pymalloc.

Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com
http://www.mojam.com/
http://www.musi-cal.com/