urllib slow on FreeBSD 4.7? sockets too

Roberto Amorim wolfoxbr at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 24 00:27:17 EST 2002

> FreeBSD doesn't come with wget, though it's easy to install. fetch, as used
> by the ports collection, is functionally equivalent. And yes, it's normal...
>
> /usr/bin/time fetch http://localhost/4MBfile
> Receiving 4MBfile (4343332 bytes): 100%
> 4343332 bytes transferred in 0.7 seconds (6.20 MBps)
>         0.79 real         0.01 user         0.06 sys
>
> Off to try some of the other suggestions...

Well, since wget is normal, we can rule out TCP/IP settings on
FreeBSD. It is probably related to the way Python handles sockets
under it (on the C source level). Perhaps it's setting sockets as
Linux ones, when they are BSD sockets?

I'll try to take a look on the code to see if I find something like
that (or perhaps Zope's source code for performance tips).