Python documentation in DocBook

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Wed Nov 13 17:44:57 EST 2002

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 02:03:01PM -0800, David LeBlanc wrote:
>How could it not be relevent? If more people know xml then know \tex, then
>the number of random people who might be interested in writing python doc is
>apt to be greater if python doc is in xml. It seems to me (I could be wrong)

Random people are *not* interested in writing documentation.

People are not atoms bouncing around until they hit a project and
stick.  No one says, "Hm... I know LaTeX, so I'll make a list of all
projects that use LaTeX and pick one at random to help."  Instead,
they find themselves using one particular thing -- Python, Apache,
whatever -- and find themselves contributing to it.  That's highly
non-random, and hard to steer.

Counting on random people from around the 'net to assemble a document
or program or site usually has the same result: a pile of junk.
(Insert snide comment about Slashdot here.)  Every successful project
has a small core of committed developers or editors, who accept and
process contributions from everyone; it's important to keep this core
happy and not overloaded, because without them the whole process
collapses.

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
SIR ANDREW: But I am a great eater of beef and I believe that does harm to my
wit.
      -- _Twelfth Night_, I, iii