python gui rant

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Nov 13 12:49:07 EST 2002

In article <aqu284$utu$0 at 216.39.172.122>, Bengt Richter wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2002 16:33:26 GMT, grante at visi.com (Grant Edwards) wrote:
>><rant>
>>
>>One warning: there is a very special place reserved in hell for
>>people who design GUI dialogs with hard-wired widget locations
>>so that the dialogs can't be resized.  One of the reasons I
>>really hate working with MS-Windows because of all the dialog
>>boxes that use 80% of the space in a dialog for useless crap,
>>and then show only four lines in a list-box containing 100+
>>elements.  A decent GUI would let you resize the dialog so you
>>could see more of the stuff in the list-box.  But not
>>MS-Windows....
>>
>></rant>
>
> Well, the above is just a snapshot of the state of a bunch of
> properties. In Delphi you can easily add code to vary them
> dynamically however you want and have the visual appearance
> automatically keep up in most cases.

That's good to hear.  I do realize that it's possible to design
resizable dialog boxes under MS-Windows. My one effort at
an MS-Windows app does it -- or rather lets wxWindows do it.

> You can also design dialogs that would behave to your specs.
> It's not windows the OS (though there's plenty of other stuff
> to rant about ;-) or Delphi that you're ranting against, it's
> product of particular app coders ;-)

You're right.  Nailing everything down does seem to be SOP for
99% of the Widnows apps I run across.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Look DEEP into the
                                  at               OPENINGS!! Do you see any