Patrick W patrickw106 at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 20 23:57:31 EST 2002

Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> writes:

> [...] But I for one am porting my Cells project:
>
>    http://www.tilton-technology.com/cells_top.html
>
> ...to Python /precisely/ (a) to swim in a bigger pond (uh, pond with
> more fish?) and (2) because there is (I hear) a x-platform GUI,

Several in fact.

> TKinter. And it's fun learning a new language, recommended so highly
> by a CL worthy such as Norvig.

Not trying to twist your arm but in case you weren't aware of it, Qt
(and PyQt) is just as portable as Tkinter (on platforms that matter)
and has a few advantages (snappier performance, more 'native' look,
more (and IMO, better) widgets, easy integration with opengl, stable
and reliable, distributed under 'free' or commercial licences,
arguably more popular in industry, etc).  They guy who maintains PyQt
(the Python bindings to the Qt C++ libraries) does a great job of
keeping up with the latest Qt releases.

Perhaps worth a look if you haven't checked it out already.

http://www.trolltech.com (for info on Qt)
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/index.php (for PyQt)