Has Red Hat helped or hurt?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed May 8 02:57:02 EDT 2002

Tim Roberts wrote:

> How have other people handled this?  Do you just copy all of
> 1.52/site-packages to 2.x/site-packages?  Do you install Python 2.x
> into a
> separate directory and grumble every time you have to change the #!
> line in
> your scripts?  I tried updating all of the #! lines in the Red Hat
> scripts,
> but this, of course, blows as soon as you do an rpm upgrade of a
> Python-based package.

Install Python 2.x into /usr/local.  If you want to be slick, put a
symlink in /usr/local/bin/python1.5 to /usr/bin/python.  Now when you
write a script that requires 2.x, make the bangpath
/usr/local/bin/python2.2; when it requires, make it
/usr/local/bin/python1.5.  When you don't care, use
/usr/local/bin/python, /usr/bin/python, or even /usr/bin/env python.

/  \ Who'd ever think it / Such a squalid little ending
\__/ The American and Florence, _Chess_
    Church / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/church/
 A lambda calculus explorer in Python.