Upper memory limit

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 14 09:13:11 EDT 2002

"Siegfried Gonzi" <siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at> wrote in message

> If I start the
> calculation for a third time I have to see that Python wreaks havoc

I can understand your frustration (I sometime scream at my machine
too) but blaming Python for the sins of Windows is not terribly
polite.  A LOT of effort has gone into getting it to run as well as it
does.

>> Memory is not a problem too, but: it consumes after 1 hour 200 MB
of
> RAM.

> I am actually using Windows XP (NT 5.1 to be correct) on a Celeron
1000
> MHz, 256 MB RAM laptop

A program that used more than 80% of RAM very well can be a problem
for Windows.  Add another 256K ($40-$50) if your laptop will accept
it.  This might also reduce execution time.  I would not be surprised
if stuff is being swapped to disk.

In the meanwhile, reboot after each run.  This will only add 5% to
total time.  Configure Windows to load as few background programs as
possible.

> Oh man, the classic Mac OS 9.0 was the reason for me to jump onto
the
> Windows bandwagon eventually. On my Mac rebooting every 30min due to
> memory problems were normal.

What a hoot!  Robooting Windows is the STANDARD solution for Windows
glitches.  Some people routinely reboot at least once a day to get a
fresh memory setup.  Others have no choice (because they run into
problems like you have).

Terry J. Reedy