Upper memory limit

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Tue May 14 09:39:20 EDT 2002

Terry Reedy wrote:

> A program that used more than 80% of RAM very well can be a problem
> for Windows.  Add another 256K ($40-$50) if your laptop will accept
> it.  This might also reduce execution time.  I would not be surprised
> if stuff is being swapped to disk.

The program does not use really 200MB I would say. As I wrote: I call 8
times a specific function. The specific function itself consumes about
20MB RAM and delivers a floating point array of dimension 71x12 back.  I
weight the 8 arrays and  pass one result array  to a function in order
to write the result array to a file.

But I do not get it why Python does not delete the 20MB and leaves only
the 71x12 array sound when it comes back from the function. That was the
reason why I asked: does Python collect garbage and get rid of it at the
end of the calculation (Python collects 8*20 MB + 40 MB and at the end
it deletes this 200 MB junk); or does Python collect 20MB, removes the
20MB (71x12 array is negligible here), goes on to the next 20MB and
removes the 20MB, and so on....

S. Gonzi