Python or Ruby for a newbie - Winner is Python!

Scrumpy reply at in_newsgroup.tks
Fri May 17 15:29:44 EDT 2002

jason at jvoegele.com (Jason Voegele) wrote in
news:91acf731.0205170652.43923fcc at posting.google.com:

> Scrumpy <reply at in_newsgroup.tks> wrote in message
> news:<abqqpn$260$1 at hfc.pacific.net.hk>...
>> I'd posted two or three times to this Python newsgroup and always
>> received replies (a good sign of a supportive community) but my two
>> recent posts to the Ruby newsgroup garnered zero replies!
>>
>> Even though Ruby has been around for about seven years, it appears
>> that the  Ruby community is focused on supporting existing
>> programmers and not (at all?!) on promoting Ruby as a first langauge.
>
> I subscribe to the ruby-talk mailing list that is mirrored with
> comp.lang.ruby, and I never saw your message.  Also, a google search
> reveals no postings made by you to comp.lang.ruby.  Either you sent
> your message somewhere else, or you never sent it at all.  If that's
> the case, I question your integrity and wonder if this post is
> anything more than flame-bait.

That's really strange! I've also just checked Google groups and saw other
newsgroup post that I've made but not teh ones to the Ruby newsgroup! :-(

I posted to comp.lang.ruby on May 7th with the subject "Newbie - Python or
Ruby as 1st language?" & on May 10th with the subject "Ruby for Newbie?!".
I followed the newsgroup for days and saw my posts gradually go lower and
lower until they disappeared off the newsgroup.

There was a problem with that newsgroup for about two days (though other
newsgroups I follow were ok) when there were no new posts but on the third
day, the previous two days posts showed up and there haven't been any
problems since.

I will repost it in this newsgroup and comp.lang.ruby

What's the point in a newbie to programming, who's trying to get help in
selecting a language, trying to provoke flames from users of a langauge?!

Anyway, let's see what response I get first.

Regards,
Scrumpy :)