Python or Ruby for a newbie - Winner is Python!

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri May 17 19:28:51 EDT 2002

Jason Voegele wrote:

> Scrumpy <reply at in_newsgroup.tks> wrote in message news:<abqqpn$260$1 at hfc.pacific.net.hk>...
> > I'd posted two or three times to this Python newsgroup and always received
> > replies (a good sign of a supportive community) but my two recent posts to
> > the Ruby newsgroup garnered zero replies!
> >
> I subscribe to the ruby-talk mailing list that is mirrored with
> comp.lang.ruby, and I never saw your message.  Also, a google search
> reveals no postings made by you to comp.lang.ruby.  Either you sent
> your message somewhere else, or you never sent it at all.  If that's
> the case, I question your integrity and wonder if this post is
> anything more than flame-bait.

Or perhaps it was an honest mistake.  Give him the benefit of the doubt
before you attack him personally!

I was posting messages to this newsgroup for almost two weeks at the
end of April and beginning of May.  I almost posted a few in anger that
somebody ignored my postings which had perfectly good answers, then a
few days later responded positively to a responses from others.
What was their problem?!  Idiots!  What's wrong with my answer?!

Well, my service provider's news system was swallowing all my posts,
keeping them locally (so I could see they were posted) but never
upfeeding them into the rest of Usenet.  Who knew?  I wasted time
posting about twenty messages this way.  Grrr..

(Of course, you could be right, too, but it seems more likely to me
there was no lack of integrity involved.  Maybe I'm just naive...)

-Peter