python, a scripting language?

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Sun May 12 17:45:42 EDT 2002

Erlend J. Leiknes wrote:

> A friend of mine which is a java programmer insists on that python is
> scripting language...

Tell your friend that C is a scripting language too. Seriously, it has
system(), so you can use it to 'script' other programs.

'scripting language' is being used by your apparently ignorant (or
ill-intentioned) friend as a derogatory term. In reality, any language that
can make system calls can be used for 'scripting'.

Now, if he wants to distinguish between 'languages that compile to native
machine code' and those which don't, then python does indeed need an
interpreter to be around for execution (even of pre-compiled byte code). But
as far as I know java falls in the same category (jvm needed) although there
could be native binary java compilers, I simply have no idea. Relying on an
interpreter can be a drawback or an asset, that depends on the problem at
hand.

So if your friend wants to argue about python's shortcomings (it has them,
like anything else out there), ask him first to come up with an informed,
intelligent arugment. So far he hasn't.

Cheers,

f.