python, a scripting language?

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Sun May 12 15:56:00 EDT 2002

I think the term "scripting language" is more about use then how the
language works. Java, Ruby, Perl, Python, Tcl, C and even C++ can be used as
scripting languages. I think the term implies that it can be embedded into
an application to provide scripting for that app.

I think your friend was just trying to imply that python is somehow a lesser
language because it can be used for scripting. Heh - Python can do
everything Java can do, nearly as fast (more then fast enough for most
applications) and it's not only faster and easier to code in, it's also
easier to embed and extend Python then Java. Ask your friend how he likes
silly.irritatingly.and.excedingly.long.paths.to.classes :-)

David LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA