How should I dynamically generate html tables?

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Tue May 28 13:54:25 EDT 2002

Scrumpy wrote:

 > [...]
> As per my initial post, I currently perform a MS Word 'catalog mail merge'
> between an RTF file (actually a HTML table) and my CSV file.
> [...]
>
> I then copy the merge's resulting multiple html tables text to my
> freesoft.html file, overwritting the previous right div column's content
> and manually update my software category's menu in the left div column, if
> any categories have been added or deleted. The current page is here:
> http://www.geocities.com/scrumpyshangout/freesoft.html
>
> I forsee the process of automatically generating my webpage as something
> like this:
 > [...]
> If anyone can point me in the right direction to be able to complete the
> above process, I'd be very grateful.
>
> For this particular task, do you think I'm best served using Python or PHP?
> I don't mind learning some PHP just for this type of thing if it's easier!

If you want to do it statically, you might want to take a look at XIST
(available at http://www.livinglogic.de/Python/xist/) which simplifies
generating (X)HTML.

You could have a HTML template that includes your own tags in various
hot spots. For these tags you can implement how they should look when
converted to HTML.

I hope that this is what you have in mind.

Bye,
    Walter Dörwald