How should I dynamically generate html tables?

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Sat May 25 19:49:54 EDT 2002

Scrumpy <reply at in_newsgroup.tks> wrote in
news:acka3j$b9t$1 at hfc.pacific.net.hk:
> I have a lefthand div column which contains a software categories menu
> from which you can jump to the different categories of software on the
> page. In the righthand div column I list each piece of software in
> it's own table as follows (this is a simplified version):
> In the future, I'd like to generate the whole html page automatically
> whenever data in the CSV file changes i.e. after I upload an updated
> CSV file to my website (alternatively, I could setup Apache etc. on my
> home PC, auto-generate the page and then upload it to my public
> website). That would mean tables would have to be automatically added,
> deleted or their contents modified.
>
> Ideally I would also like to automatically generate an updated menu in
> the "leftcontent" div, which would save me time if a new software
> category is added (each record in the CSV file contains a software
> category and there can be more than one piece of software in each
> category).

have a look at http://ht2html.sf.net. it's the tool that is also used for
python.org. that way you can generate a .ht file from your script and
ht2html puts the navigation on the left etc. around it. so you can
essentialy start every time with a new .ht file and don't need to extract
old data from the html.

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>